Monday, November 10, 2008

Granny's Faith

I had lunch with my grandpa yesterday. The conversation turned to Christianity, and his mom (my great grandma). Great grandma died when I was around 12 years old, but the mark she left on my life will live on forever.

Granny was the closest person to God that I have ever known (even after 25 years of being in "the church"). She would tell stories of visions that God had given her, and she would tell stories of witnessing God's presence in various church meetings. She would tell of campmeetings in which people would be laid out all over the church (without tongues or touching) under the power of God and the Holy Spirit. She told of evangelist Billy Sunday walking up to the platform to preach, and people passing out as he passed them, because he was so covered with the presence and power of the Holy Spirit.

What an awesome experience! I wonder what has happened in the 3 generations since this time? Why don't we experience this power today?

This is what I long for. To be close to God. To be completely surrounded by, and living in the midst of the presence of God.

Why don't we have this? Maybe we don't want it bad enough. Maybe we're happy with just a little bit of God. Maybe we aren't willing to put in the time and effort to build a relationship of this magnitude with God.

This is my hearts desire...to continually dwell in the complete presence of God and the power of the Holy Spirit.

No comments: